IRONMAN has announced the results of its 2017 Athlete’s Choice Awards releasing the Top 10 scoring events in a variety of categories based on athlete surveys from all of the 2017 IRONMAN® and IRONMAN® 70.3® races globally.
Out of the 102 IRONMAN 70.3 series events that took place in 2017, IRONMAN 70.3 Asia Pacific Championship Western Sydney was placed first in Overall Satisfaction, sharing the title with SiS IRONMAN 70.3 Otepää. Out of the 39 IRONMAN series events that took place in 2017, IRONMAN Maryland was selected first in Overall Satisfaction.
Results for the 2017 Athlete’s Choice Awards were gathered for every IRONMAN and IRONMAN 70.3 from surveys sent post event to all athletes who competed. After collecting more than 55,000 total respondents for the survey, the winners were chosen for each category of IRONMAN and IRONMAN 70.3 events marking a major accomplishment for the events and their host communities.
IRONMAN 70.3 Western Sydney placed first in overall satisfaction with a score of 97.50%, which is 10.58% above the rolling global average and a 5.20% increase in overall satisfaction from 2016.
IRONMAN 70.3 Western Sydney also scored highly in individual categories with the following well above the rolling global average:
- pre event communication,
- registration process,
- staff helpfulness,
- the goody bag,
- on course nutrition
- transition location, design and bike racking,
- timeliness of results
- event parking
When competitors were asked “What did you enjoy most about your IRONMAN 70.3 Western Sydney experience?” their responses were:
- “It was my first IRONMAN, I liked the warm welcome I got when checking in and the support from the volunteers on course.”
- “The volunteers. They were really fabulous. They made the day for me. I can’t thank them enough.”
- “I enjoyed the whole experience but for me the personal highlight was the bike course and the family friendly location. I have two small boys and they were both more than happy to find things to do around the venue.”
- “Very reliable, professional and well organized, as all IRONMAN events are.”
- “All the little things…getting the bell rung when I checked in for my first 70.3, having an M Dot shirt with my name on it, running down that M Dot carpet to the finish; the amazing support from spectators and volunteers.”
- “The bike course, the atmosphere, positivity everywhere, location, great viewing for spectators.”
- “The course was great for spectators and seeing my family around the course. The overall day was fantastic and well run.”
- “My first 70.3. The whole experience was memorable 🙂 The atmosphere and vibe.”
- “The great community feel.”