“It was an amazing race. We struggled quite hard as the temperatures were changing so much from air to water. The air was hot and the water was cold. But the swimming was fantastic, the water was so calm it was like swimming in the pool!” said Stefano Prestinoni from the winning team Swimshop.se after the finish line. The strong Swedish duo was second at last year’s edition and had a clear goal for this year, to win! And they won strong after taking the lead at an early stage of the race. The winning mixed team, Diane Sadik (SUI) and Henrik Wahlberg (SWE), were close to the leading pack throughout the whole course and managed to pass and pull away from some of the top men’s teams to clinch second overall. A great performance and a reminder that women in swimrun are a force to recon with.
The Isles of Scilly are like a temperate, tropical island paradise with incredible plant life, white sandy beaches and more historical sites per square meter than anywhere else in the UK. The close distances between the islands and beautiful scenery are a perfect venue for a swimrun race.
The Scillonian archipelago consists of around 200 islands, islets and rocks and the 2nd edition of ÖTILLÖ Isles of Scilly had a total of 29,5 km of trailrunning and no less than 8 000 meters of swimming in the Atlantic Ocean. To perform, the athletes need to be as strong of a swimmer as of a trail runner. The eight different swim sections involved two big ocean swims of 2 000 and 2 500 metres to and from St Mary of Scilly, spicing up the challenge. The trails are narrow in the heather, sometimes on rock, and it is easy to stumble. The hot summer weather made it even more difficult to run in a wetsuit.
Eight top teams at ÖTILLÖ Swimrun Isles of Scilly qualify to the ÖTILLÖ Swimrun World Championship 2017, on 4 September 2017 in the Stockholm Archipelago; top 3 men, top 3 mixed, top 2 women.
On Sunday 18 June, 35 teams will take part in the Sprint race, a shorter version of the world series event, a 15 km Swimrun journey around the island of St Mary at the Scilly islands.
Top 3 results ÖTILLÖ Swimrun Isles of Scilly, 17 June 2017
1. Stefano Prestinoni and Fredrik Axegård (SWE), Team Swimshop.se, 4:42:28
2. Sebastian Bleitgen and Frank Mertins (GER), SwimrunART, 4:57:37
3. Johan Carlsson and Joakim Brunzell (SWE), Team Nynäshamns Ångbryggeri, 4:59:44
1. Diane Sadik (SUI) and Henrik Wahlberg (SWE), Team Swimrunshop.com, 4:55:55 (2nd overall)
2. Michelle Nyström and Erik Fridolf (SWE), Team Garmin, 5:02:00
3. Rhian Martin and Ben Martin (GBR), Team Drummond Clinic, 5:15:32
1. Annika Ericsson and Elisabet Pärsdotter Westman (SWE), Lag PärEric 5:28:58
2. Charlotte Årling and Amanda Liljestrand (SWE), Team Arvika, 5:41:05
3. Naomi Shinkins (IRL) and Melissa Dowell (GBR) Team ROYAL BAY Compression, 5:56:37
Complete result list here: http://otilloswimrun.com/races/isles-of-scilly/teams-2017/
Website here: http://otilloswimrun.com/races/isles-of-scilly/
FAST FACTS ÖTILLÖ Swimrun Isles of Scilly 2017
2nd edition, 17 June 2017
Race course 37, 5 km
29,5 km trail running
8 000 metres open water swimming
7 swim sections
longest swim 2 500 metres
longest run 7 700 metres
110 registered teams from 17 different nationalities
With sprint race: 20 different nationalities and an extra 32 teams